Toolkits for Advocacy
Make a Submission to the Pre Budget Consultation Process
1. Use our Instructions and download our fillable form to show you how or make your own. You can see a sample submission here
2. Fill in your own story on the last page of why this matters to you.
3. Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org before Feb 3!
Note: Cultural Organizations funded through an MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) were created by an act of legislation and are funded directly rather than going through the same competitive process as those funded in the two regular streams. These include the Cultural Federations (Theatre NS, Dance NS, etc) and Talent Trust among others. That is why we have suggested at least a 50% increase rather than a doubling, since the competitive streams will include a new intake as well as a righting of the ship.
It is vital to be respectful and to copy the following on your email:
- The Honourable Susan Corkum-Greek, Minister of Economic Development: email@example.com
- The Honourable Pat Dunn, Minister of Communities, Culture, Tourism and Heritage: MIN_CCTH@novascotia.ca
- The Honourable Tim Houston, Premier of Nova Scotia: PREMIER@novascotia.ca
- Chris O'Neill, NS Arts coalition: firstname.lastname@example.org
Meet your MLA
To feel comfortable speaking to your MLA, and making the campaign positive and engaging, we have created an easy guide to help you feel confident.
Step one: Find your MLA.
This link gives you the right contact information for your riding.
Here's a sample email to send to get a meeting or call:
I hope you are well. I would like to meet as soon as possible for a couple of minutes to talk about the Building Back Better report about arts and culture's role as part of recovery and rebuilding for Nova Scotia, and what I believe the arts and culture sector needs in the upcoming budget. I appreciate your time and look forward to seeing you soon.
I would like this meeting to be in time for it to form part of your pre-budget consultations.
Step 2: Look at the talking points. The main things are to be respectful and ensure you talk about Lifeline, Recovery and Building Back Better.
- This government was elected on a platform to fix health care, but they always have to keep other aspects of the province running.
- They have invested more than $7 million of new money in the film industry (which is fabulous) but that doesn't help the arts and culture organizations, so there is a will to invest other than in health care - we need to help the Premier embrace what the arts and culture can do for NS.
- Investment in Arts and Culture has significant and documented positive health impacts, it is a driving or economic development, social cohesion and a recruitment tool for new immigrants including health care workers.
- It is a promise to our future as a vibrant, modern society, and one that can keep our young creative thinkers at home.
Step 3: Highlight the campaign using our text and images on social media or use your own in the frame provided, with the hashtags #nsarts, #homeiswheretheartsis, #buildingbackbetter
Step 4: Share your results in 2 minutes here. It helps us know if we are being heard, and which MLAs have not yet been contacted.
If you need any support, or have comments, let us know.